Prepare to buy a property in Quebec
Buying a house is an exciting adventure! During the home buying process it’s best to take one’s time and stay informed. Whether you’re planning on buying a house, a condo or a chalet, our tips for home buyers will help you prepare for house hunting. The steps to buy a house are the following:
Determine your needs for buying a home
Knowing what you’re looking for in a house for sale helps you narrow down your search. Determine your needs by asking yourself some simple questions before going house hunting. For instance:
Decide on your location
- Do you want to live in the city, the suburbs or the country?
- Do you want to live in Montreal, Quebec, Gatineau or Sherbrooke?
- How important is walkability to you? What services do you want nearby?
- Do you need access to public transportation?
Decide on the property type
- Are you looking for a house, condo, loft, duplex, triplex, or a chalet?
- Do you want a new home or an older home (already built)?
- Do you want a divided co-ownership or undivided co-ownership?
- Are you looking for green or sustainable housing?
- Do you have the budget to renovate or are you looking for a turnkey home that is move-in ready?
Decide on the landscaping
- Do you want a terrace, a veranda, a swimming pool, a garden or a basement?
- Do you need a parking space?
- Do you want a south facing home with plenty of sunshine?
Decide on the size of the property
- How many rooms do you want?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- Do you want separate laundry rooms, office/den or workrooms?
- Do you need storage spaces like a cabin, a hut, or a garage?