- Who does the Policy apply to?
- What is personal information?
- What types of personal information do we collect?
- How is your personal information collected?
- Personal information you provide voluntarily
- Personal information automatically collected
- Why does DuProprio collect and use your personal information?
- With whom can your personal information be shared?
- Is your personal information likely to be transferred or communicated outside of your province or outside of Canada?
- Can you access, rectify or modify your personal information?
- What are your choices regarding the use of your personal information?
- How long do we keep your personal information?
- Can this Policy be changed and, if applicable, will you be notified?
- How can you contact us?
Updated September 19 2023
Privacy and personal data protection is important for DuProprio (hereinafter "DuProprio", "we", "our" or "ours"). For this reason, effective measures have been put in place by DuProprio to protect the personal information in our possession or that we handle.
By accessing our Platforms or using our Services, you consent to the collection, use, disclosure, and retention of your personal information in accordance with this Policy. In certain cases, your consent may be "implied", i.e., that your permission is presumed depending on your action or inaction at the time of the collection, use or sharing of your personal information. If you do not agree with this Policy, please refrain from using our Platforms or our Services. Of course, some Services can only be offered to you if you provide DuProprio with information of this nature; consequently, DuProprio may not be able to provide you with these Services if you decide not to provide us with the necessary personal information.
Who does the Policy apply to?
What is personal information?
Personal information refers to any information which concerns a person and makes it possible, separately or in combination with other data, to identify them. This may include, for example, your name, email addresses, contact information and any similar information provided to DuProprio. Such information is not considered personal information when it is aggregated and cannot be associated with an identifiable individual, either directly or indirectly.
What types of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we collect depend on the way you interact with us, as described in the "How is your personal information collected?" section.
Generally, we collect the following types of personal information:
- Identifiers and contact details, such as your name, your password, your address, your zip code, your email and your phone number, when you subscribe to our Services, create an account with us, when you sign up to receive our newsletters, our offers and promotions, or when you submit an information or a service request.
- Information linked to your browsing activities, such as your IP address (if it enables us to identify you as a person), your device identifier, the type of browser, the pages viewed on our Platforms, the ads you clicked on and other similar information that we collect through cookies, web beacons and other automated methods when you access our Platforms or use our Services.
- Information related to your interaction with our emails, such as their opening and clicks on links. This information is collected automatically through data collection technologies embedded in our emails, as further described in the "How is your personal information collected?" section.
- Information about your property, such as the type of property, the number of floors, the value of the property, the dimensions of the lot, the surface area of the land, the construction date and other similar data regarding the characteristics of your property. Information about your property may also include photographs of your property and the sale or rental price. This information may be collected from various sources, including from you directly or from third parties, as described in more detail in the "How is your personal information collected?" section.
- Transactional information, such as information about your billing and delivery address, payment information transaction history and other types of similar information, when you ask to receive our Services.
- Demographic and statistical data, including aggregated or statistical data relative to a property or a district in which it is located, such as population density, the accessibility and availability of parks, public transport and other public conveniences. We do not generally use this information to identify you personally.
- Any other information you give to us (as detailed in the "How is your personal information collected?" section.
How is your personal information collected?
We collect personal information about you from:
- when you provide this information to us directly, for example when you create an account with us, when you sign up to receive our newsletters, our offers or promotions, when you list your property on our Platforms or when you submit an information or a service request, and
- when personal information about you is automatically collected as part of your use of our Services or our Platforms.
- other affiliated entities forming part of the EspaceProprio group of companies, in particular EspaceProprio, RénoAssistance and Confia (together the "Group"), when they provide us with your personal information so as to offer you the Services you are asking for, to conduct marketing activities or for the purposes described in this Policy. In some cases, we receive anonymized or de-identified information for research and analysis purposes, including to understand the interests of users of our Platforms and Services, improve our products, services and features, and develop new ones (as detailed in the "Research and Data Analysis" subsection of the Why does DuProprio collects and uses your personal information? section).
- third parties, when they provide us with personal information about you. Third parties who share your personal information with us include:
- Service providers. For example, we may use service providers to analyze how you interact and engage with our Platforms or our Services, or third parties may help us provide customer support to you.
- Advertising partners. We may receive information about you from some of our marketing or promotional service providers related to how you interact with our Platforms, applications, products, services, advertisements, or communications.
- Business partners. We may receive information about you from some of our business partners who refer you to our services.
We may also collect data from other third parties and public sources and combine them with other information, including those described in this Policy, so as to provide you with our Services, to improve the user experience and to develop or improve our Services. For example, we may collect Information about a property, such as the year of construction, the value of the property, the surface area and other characteristics of the property from public records held by public organizations, in particular the municipalities, so as to develop and exploit new features linked to our Services. These data are not generally used to identify you personally.
You can request further details about the information we collect from you or someone else by contacting us at the address indicated in the "How can you contact us?".
Personal information you provide voluntarily
When you visit our Platforms, participate in a contest, promotion, survey or create an account with us, use our Services, inquire about our Services or when you communicate or interact with us, you may be asked to voluntarily provide us with certain personal information (such as your name, email address, mailing address and phone number) so that we can communicate with you more efficiently, respond to your inquiry and provide you with the Services you have asked for.
Personal information automatically collected
Cookies and other data collection technologies – When you access any of our Platforms, we use a browser feature called a "cookie" and other similar technologies to automatically collect certain information about you, your Internet activity and your activity on our Platforms, such as identifiers that can be used to recognize you or your device over time, the Internet Protocol (IP) address that identifies your computer, the IP address of your Internet service provider, the name and version of your Web browser, the date and time you access the Platforms, the Internet address from which you directly access the Platforms, the operating system used, sections of the Platforms visited, pages read and images viewed and documents displayed on the Platforms or downloaded from the Platforms. A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that identifies a visitor’s browser (but does not necessarily identify the visitor) to our computers each time someone visits our Platforms.
We also use data collection technologies to better understand how you interact with our emails and to personalize our communications with you. By providing us with your email address, you agree to our use of these technologies in emails you receive from us. If you wish to opt out of email marketing communications, including the use of these data collection technologies, you may do so by contacting us by email at the address listed in the "How can you contact us?" section or by changing your privacy settings in your My DuProprio account.
DuProprio also works with advertising partners who collect and use information about your visits on our Platforms in order to present you with advertising that may be of interest to you. Our advertising partners may also install cookies or pixels the moment you click on their advertising messages or links to their websites or services on our Platforms. This Policy does not apply to third party websites or the advertising providers of such third parties.
Geolocation – In order to provide our Services, we collect information about your approximate location (city or province), which is generated using your IP address when you make an inquiry on our Platforms. We also collect information about your precise location when you allow either of our Platforms to locate your device.
Telephone recordings and online chat – When you interact with us by telephone or online chat, the conversations may be recorded for training, quality control and internal analytics purposes. We will notify you in advance that the conversation may be recorded for these purposes.
Why does DuProprio collect and use your personal information?
DuProprio uses the personal information collected about you for the following purposes:
- to respond to online service requests, questions, or comments that you send to us;
- for all purposes necessary for the provision of our Services, such as:
- to refer you or send your request to any of the entities in the Group which may deal with your request or respond to your needs;
- to monitor the performance and progress of your request and the Services to which you have subscribed with one of the entities in the Group;
- where appropriate, to enable you to communicate with an entity in the Group or enable an entity in the Group to communicate with you, as appropriate, in respect of a service request; and
- to carry out internal operations necessary for the provision of our Services, including resolving software interruptions and operational issues.
- to personalize and improve your experience on our Platforms;
- to email you with information about our Services, as well as those offered by entities in the Group, promotional offers, important updates and real estate content;
- to personalize and distribute online advertising content (or other media) and offer you products and services that may be of interest to you based on your preferences, interests or profile. To do this, we use information about your preferences, interests and profile, based on information you provide us as part of our Services, information generated when you interact with us or with entities in the Group, and statistical and demographic data available to the public. Rest assured that no sensitive information is used for advertising or marketing purposes and, to the extent possible, your information will be de-identified before it is used for these purposes;
- to offer a personalized user experience, in particular by using the information you provide to us or that we collect using automated methods to improve the accuracy and relevance of the Services we offer;
- to obtain a view of all the Services that you have within the entities in the Group, in particular to provide a more integrated experience, to personalize and improve the quality and relevance of the Services we offer and to simplify the management of your accounts within the Group;
- to manage, review and improve our Services, including customer service and internal business processes;
- to detect security incidents and protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activities;
- for any other purpose described in this Policy or that is communicated to you when your personal information is collected;
- as required or permitted by the applicable law.
If you prefer that your personal information not be used within our Group for advertising or marketing purposes or for other purposes that are not necessary for the provision of our Services or the good continuity of our operations, you can withdraw your consent at any time (subject to legal or contractual restrictions) by following the instructions set out in the "What are your choices regarding the use of your personal information?" section below.
Catalog – Information on properties sold or for sale on our Platforms may also be used in the context of some of our other products or services, such as the Catalog offered on our website. In this case, the collection, use and disclosure of property information is governed by a license agreement which prohibits, among other things, any attempt to identify an individual or extract information about an identifiable individual from using this data.
Research and Data analysis – DuProprio may de-identify or anonymize your information by removing your name and other information that could identify you and use it for research and analysis purposes, such as to create general tracking information reports used to study trends and changes linked to the demographics of users of our Platforms or our Services, to manage and improve our Platforms and to better understand the interests of our users. De-identified or anonymized information may also be used to improve our products, services and features, and to develop new ones.
Electronic communications – If you provide your email address or telephone number, DuProprio and the entities in the Group may occasionally send you commercial electronic messages in the form of email or SMS, namely, to inform you of our promotions, important updates, to offer you a new service or product, including those offered by entities that are part of the Group or to send you real estate content. At any time, you can unsubscribe from these communications by using the methods indicated in the message or by modifying your privacy settings in your My DuProprio account.
Is your personal information likely to be transferred or communicated outside of your province or outside of Canada?
DuProprio uses service providers and partners located outside of your province and outside of Canada to accomplish certain specific mandates in the normal course of business.
If we need to communicate personal information to these suppliers and partners, we use contractual measures to ensure your personal information is adequately protected when we transfer it to other provinces and countries. However, when your personal information is processed in a jurisdiction other than the one where you live, it may be subject to the law of that foreign jurisdiction, including any law authorizing or requiring the communication of information to government bodies, the courts and the organizations responsible for enforcing the law and for national security in that jurisdiction.
Can you access, rectify or modify your personal information?
By contacting us by email at the address indicated in the "How can you reach us?" section, you can:
- request access to your personal information and obtain information on how we collect, use and communicate your personal information, subject to the limits prescribed by the applicable law;
- Request to modify or update your personal information, if it is incorrect, incomplete or ambiguous; and
- Request to delete your personal information.
Subject to certain exceptions provided by law, you will be able to obtain reasonable access to the personal information we hold about you and you will have the right to question the relevance and accuracy of that information and to have it amended as necessary. You can help DuProprio maintain the accuracy of your information by notifying DuProprio of any necessary changes.
If you make a request to delete your personal information, it will be processed under the applicable laws. DuProprio may still retain some of your personal information to comply with its legal and regulatory obligations or if it is still necessary for the purposes for which the company collected it.
What are your choices regarding the use of your personal information?
By contacting us by email at the address indicated in the "How can you contact us?" section or by modifying your privacy settings in your My DuProprio account, you can withdraw or modify your consent to our use and disclosure of your personal information or refuse to participate in certain uses and disclosures, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. For example, we may, when permitted or required by law, continue to process your personal information without your consent, in particular to allow us to comply with our legal obligations, defend our rights or legal interests, for study, research or statistical purposes or for other legitimate business activities in accordance with the applicable laws. If you refuse to provide us with your personal information or to give us the required consents with respect to it, it may be impossible for us to do business with you or provide you with the Services requested.
Electronic communications – At any time, you can have your name removed from our mailing lists for promotional or marketing electronic communications by clicking on the unsubscribe or preference center link shown in each message or by contacting us by email at the address indicated in the "How can you contact us?" section. If you choose to no longer receive promotional or marketing electronic communications, you may continue to receive messages from us for other purposes, in accordance with the applicable laws. For example, we may need to contact you to conclude a transaction, as part of the Services, to respond to your questions or to provide you with information that you have requested.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We keep your personal information for as long as we have a legitimate need to do so. Even if you have stopped doing business with us, we will need to keep certain information because, among other reasons, it is required by law. When this information is no longer needed, it is destroyed or anonymized in accordance with the applicable law, so that you can no longer be directly or indirectly identified. As part of the process of destroying information, we follow strict rules and ensure that no unauthorized person gains access to it.
Can this Policy be changed and, if applicable, will you be notified?
We may make changes or additions to this Policy at any time, so we encourage you to review it periodically. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will notify you by changing the effective date of this Policy at the top of the page. If we make major changes, you will be notified in compliance with the applicable laws.
How can you contact us?
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about the protection of your personal information or our data protection practices, please contact the Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please give your name and contact details, the nature of your request or complaint and any other relevant information.